Sunday 13 July 2014

The Art Of Communication

I always thought the art of communication was a two way thing and that everyone involved in a conversation was meant to contribute but that's not always the case.  Some people just like talking more than others and you're very lucky to get two words in, once you leave the room you're left wondering why your ears are ringing and your head hurts but I've come to a conclusion.....

Some people will talk for their country because maybe they live on their own and don't have anyone to talk to so that when they hook up in work or social events they enjoy the company so much that they feel relaxed and will talk or perhaps they feel you are a good listener and that is really important to them at a particular moment in time.

I do feel that it is important for all parties to join in a conversation otherwise it can just be one sided and that's no good but sometimes we just need to listen to what the person is talking about and ask ourselves whether they need a shoulder to lean on, guidance or just need to get a heavy load off their chest, so listening and being a good friend is important.

I know that when something is bothering me I tend to talk more but I'm more of  listener and although I do like to add my voice to a conversation I am more than aware of the other person's energies and whether they need a friend to talk  to.  Find a balance between talking and listening so that everyone has the chance to join in, what you don't want is to meet up and to always be the listener, it does have to work both ways but on occasions when your friend needs to get anything off her/his chest then sit back preferably with a glass of wine, some nibbles and listen.

Rachel x

8 comments:

Lancelot Quadras said...

a good balance between talking and listening is needed. I agree with you. :)

Unknown said...

I am more of a listener then a talker:)

Rachel Curtis said...

Thanx Lancelot, some people love to talk lol x

Rachel Curtis said...

Hiya Jeanette, you're like me, I love to listen x

Andrea said...

Hi Rachael
I have a friend who lives on her own and whenever we get together she talks non-stop. It's one of the things I love about her, and I just listen. I would probably be the same if I lived on my own. It's easier to get the little things off your chest when they're somewhere to speak to, rather than have to wait, or make a phone call to be able to talk about things. I enjoy listening anyway. And after a while she does let me get a word in edgeways! LOL. Blessings, Andrea (UBC)

Sophie Bowns said...

Awww!
This was lovely. Yes, I like to listen too.

Rachel Curtis said...

Hiya Andrea, exactly, I'm lucky I have a house full to talk to but I too have a friend who lives on her own and I just let her talk, I think that as long as she is happy and they are her jaws that will ache then I'll just listen lol x

Rachel Curtis said...

Thanx Sophie x